I embroidered out the Lace Christmas Pickle using different machines, different threads, and different stabilizers. I made 2 FSL pickles at the original size and 2 FSL pickles at 20% larger. Generally you should be very careful increasing the size of Free Standing Lace designs, sometimes the lace does not connect up becomes loose. I used the same thread on the top and and in the bobbin. I wish you could feel the difference the threads made. I found that I really like using the OESD Aqua Mesh stabilizer for Free Standing Lace. It dissolves easily and doesn't break away from the embroidery.
I really like using Superior's Bottom Line Thread for Free Standing Lace. It is finer, and looks very pretty. I embroidered these samples on the artista 730E in the large Oval hoop with a Jeans needle 80/12 on OESD Aqua-Mesh and Romeo stabilizers.
Mettler Silk Finish Cotton
I like the different look I got using Mettler Silk Finish Cotton thread. It is a heavier thread and reminds me of using the cotton lace thread. There was lots of lint, I needed to clean my machine after each one of the three sets of samples. The results are a thicker lace design, with a nice soft feel. I embroidered these samples on the artista 200E (upgraded) in the large Oval hoop with a Universal 80/12 needle on OESD Aqua-Mesh and Romeo stabilizers.
These samples made with the Mettler Polyester looked like the Mettler Silk Finish Cotton thread samples with the exception they are not as soft to the touch. Almost no lint - more like normal sewing with this thread. I embroidered these samples on the artista 630E in the large Oval hoop with a Embroidery needle 80/12 on OESD Aqua-Mesh and Romeo stabilizers.
These samples were embroidered using Isacord thread. They looked very nice when finished, not as heavy and thick as either of the Mettler threads. I embroidered these samples on the 830 in the large Oval hoop with a Top-Stitch needle 90/14 on OESD Aqua-Mesh and Romeo stabilizers. The Top-Stitch needle was too big and caused the Romeo stabilizer to break-away. By adding a layer of Aqua-Film there were no more stabilizer breaking away. There was no problem using Aqua-Mesh.